A serial rapist who preyed on women in Sydney’s northern suburbs will be subject to close supervision, including electronic monitoring, after a court found he continues to be a serious risk of further violent sexual offences.
Graham James Kay sexually assaulted eight women, aged from 16 to 39, between December 1995 and December 1996 after grabbing them from behind and holding a knife to their necks in “premeditated and planned” attacks.
Kay was only stopped after a 1997 police operation dubbed Strike Force Allier caught him driving around looking for women and following them in Macquarie Park, Glebe and Epping.
The former Rural Fire Service volunteer was released on parole in February 2015 after serving about 18 years of a 20-year maximum jail sentence.
On Friday, the Supreme Court was told Kay had been sacked from his job after the application by the state for an extended supervision order two weeks ago came to the attention of his employer.
In an affidavit, Kay told the court his employer had identified him from media reports despite an interim non-publication order on his name.
Justice Ian Harrison declined to continue the prohibition on identifying Kay when handing down his judgment on Friday.
Kay had been working a job which required a 2am start and travel to and from home on public transport.
The state sought orders that Kay be subject to a high-risk sex offender extended supervision order for three years.
Kay opposed the orders, arguing he was not a high-risk sex offender. The court heard he had been “a model parolee” and has successfully completed intensive treatment and rehabilitation programs.
In a report to the court, two forensic psychiatrists found it likely Kay has sexual sadism disorder, a chronic and relapsing paraphilic disorder.
In granting a three-year supervision order, Justice Harrison said: “I am satisfied to a high degree of probability that Mr Kay poses an unacceptable risk of committing a serious sex offence if he is not kept under supervision.”
Kay will have to abide by a lengthy list of conditions including electronic monitoring and a ban on accessing pornographic, violent and classified material. He is not allowed to legally change his name or use an alias on social media or any other website.
In sentencing Kay in 2000, Justice Robert Shallcross Hulme said the graphic artist attacked most of his victims in a premeditated and planned way.
The attacks took place in Balgowlah, Artarmon, Epping, Eastwood and Wollstonecraft.
“The prisoner’s conduct was calculated to instil in at least some of his victims the fear of death with the concomitant loss of all that life holds, at least unless they bowed to his demands,” he said.Read more